At East Leake Academy we have high standards and high expectations for behaviour. All students must aim for 100% attendance and the academy’s minimum expectation for all students is 97%.
We ask wherever possible that parents book appointments for dentists, doctors and so forth before or after the academy day. If your child should need to leave the academy during the day they will need written consent from home and present this to our attendance office or their tutor first thing in the morning. They will then be issued with an absence pass.
The information below should help both students and parents/carers ensure we achieve the highest possible attendance levels.
We require all students to:
- achieve the academy target of 97%
- arrive on site by 8.40am and to be punctual to all lessons
- inform their tutor of any problem or reason that is known in advance and may prevent their attendance
- inform a member of staff if they need to leave the academy grounds for any reason during the academy day. Students must not leave the site without permission.
All parents/carers should:
- provide the academy with up to date contact details
- ensure their child attends the academy regularly and punctually, as is their legal duty as parents
- contact the academy on the first and each subsequent day of absence, unless a definite date of return is known
- ensure their child arrives on time and well prepared for the academy day
- contact the academy whenever any problems occur that may affect their child’s attendance or performance
- access their child’s record via Insight and contact the academy with any queries regarding attendance
Parents/carers are not entitled to remove children from the academy for holidays or for any other reason as a right. Moreover, the academy will not automatically authorise holidays simply on the grounds of a parent/carer being unable to take time off from their employment during the academy’s holidays.
We will not authorise absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. These circumstances are:
- where families are service personnel
- where a family needs to spend time together to support each other during/after a crisis
- other compassionate circumstances confidentially shared with the academy
- where a student has been offered an exceptional opportunity outside of school
Parents/carers may apply for exceptional leave of absence by writing to the Principal at least four weeks before the planned absence (including before the planned holiday is booked). Holidays will not be granted retrospectively, based on an existing booking. The application letter must outline precisely what the exceptional circumstances are.
Local Authority Code of Conduct for issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices will be followed in cases of holidays taken without prior authorisation.
You can view the academy’s policy on attendance below, which is regulated by our trust, the Diverse Academies, and is aligned with Nottinghamshire County Council’s guidelines: