Key Stage 4
WJEC Level 1 and 2 vocational award
This course is for students who have a passion for food and cookery. It equips students with a breadth of theoretical knowledge and many opportunities to develop practical and technical skills. These will include food preparation and cooking skills, organisation, time management, planning, communication and problem-solving skills.
Topic areas covered
Unit 1: The hospitality and catering industry – (online e-assessment – 40% of final grade)
- Different parts of the hospitality and catering industry
- Types of hospitality and catering job roles
- Types of hospitality and catering provision for particular situations
- Front of house and kitchen operations
- The needs and requirements of customers
- What makes a hospitality and catering business successful
- Issues related to nutrition and food safety
Unit 2: Hospitality and catering in action (controlled assessment task – 60% of final grade)
- Plan, prepare, cook and serve a variety of nutritional dishes, in a safe and hygienic manner, that are suitable for different situations and customer needs and requirements.
Miss H Gilbert
Mrs R Khan (Head of Faculty)